#Offthebandwagon

Well, Le Tour De France starts tomorrow!

As always, I'll be doing constant updates and will try to keep the general public aware about what I believe is the best of the Grand Tours.

That brings me to my main point. I think my deep rooted involvement with social media started with this whole brand-shebang.

Promote this and hashtag that. Show off your splits and mileage on social media and earn...... Earn what exactly?

The times I have run are okay-ish. They're not "bad" per-se but compared to the whole wide world they aren't really world beating times.

Yes, i'm capable of much more and the challenge is to get to that point where I can be my best self and my times are actually at a level of a world beater.

I never considered my times special. I have a 10k PB of 34:50 and the fastest Half marathon I ran was 1:20(despite being sick) and the fastest marathon I did was 2:56:24(it could've been faster, but it was the best I could do with what I was handed).

There are tonnes of people who do it faster than me. Nationally and Internationally.

And I think that's why my ego never got inflated. That awareness that someone out there was better than me, kept me grounded and has always had me working hard.

Endurance challenges too. Overcoming adversity and doing something special is a good thing. But that's the personification of human nature isn't it?

I mean, I did something physically and mentally, but everyday I come across stories which show how much human beings can really endure.

I'm nobody special. I just didn't give up. And I didn't give up because my mother didn't raise a quitter.

When I look around at the world of social media, people are down-talking each other on times 60 year olds run in Europe (Just FYI: A 62 year old man ran a 1:16 in the very hilly Lausanne 20k).

They have 1-2 good races and everyone starts to behave like GOD.

I mean the Indian amateur athletics scene is hilarious. The expectations are so low, that a guy who runs 30k in 2 hours thinks he is some sort of legend. Maybe the size of the pond is too small.

People with 1 good IM are embarking on wisdom quests and sarcastic banters, while people who haven't even done that are even more smart-alecky.

It's funny to watch how easily people detach from the ground on the whiff of a small bit of success.

Not everyone is that way. I mean look at someone like Kieren D'souza or Subramani Venkatesh or Breeze Sharma.

They have strings of success and actual international success. Not just a mediocre finish time.

But they haven't saturated themselves, they celebrate their success and move on.

Move on to something greater.

And looking at the stuff going around on social media makes me kind of queasy. It gives a weird kinda feeling in my stomach.

It makes me sad to look at what is going on and being an idiot who enjoys bothering his mind at the state of humanity, I get all riled up because of that.

I waste too much time and energy bothering myself with people who will talk nonsense, no matter if someone does good or bad.

And because I love to read and I read somewhere that this activity is wasting my energy, I think it's time to get off social media.

I think it is time to just update people on Tour De France, check out hilarious Dog videos, updates from the world of athletics and not let my mind bother about some arrogant person boasting about mediocre achievements.

I don't have to do that anymore, now that I buy my own shoes and clothes. (Have been buying them for over 1.5 years now).

Time to cut the distractions and focus on self improvement.

Honestly, what can I do about people boasting? Or talking bad about someone (me or anyone else)?

I can only do what I can do and not be distracted by social media.

After all, as it is said in Bhagwat Geeta:

"कर्मणये वाधिकारस्ते मां फलेषु कदाचन । मां कर्मफलहेतुर्भू: मांते संङगोस्त्वकर्मणि" ।।

I think people I piss off with my articulations will be happy with this! And I'll be able to cut off the negative energy surrounding me.

Win-Win!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts